Family. Food. Beautiful Spaces. Healing. Travel. Living Free.
By Amy DiPaola
makes 20 cookies
1/2 cup Earth Balance butter (or one stick)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup regular sugar
1 flax egg (1 Tbs ground flax seed mixed with 2 Tbs water and set aside for 5 minutes)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt plus more to sprinkle over top
1 1/4 cup while wheat pastry flour
8 homemade gluten-free vegan graham crackers (recipe from Oh She Glows) or another vegan graham cracker, 6 broken apart and the other 2 blended until a you have a fine crumble for topping
2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate chips work!)
6 vegan marshmallows plus some if you want to top them with extra marshmallow
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the earth balance and sugars until creamy and fluffy (use a stand mixer or hand mixer for best results).
3. Add in the flax egg, vanilla, baking soda and sea salt. Mix well.
4. Slowly add the flour and mix together until a nice dough forms. Mix in the broken graham crackers. Using the hand mixer or stand mixer will allow the graham cracker pieces to break apart even more. Blend until you don’t have any large graham cracker chunks (you want a lot of small chunks). Fold in the chocolate chips and place dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cut your marshmallows into 20 pieces (each one cut into fourths). Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Once the dough is ready remove from the fridge and form 20 even size balls. Take your first dough ball and place a marshmallow inside, forming the dough around the marshmallow to that it is complete covered. Do this with all 20 dough balls. Place them on the baking sheets and sprinkle each one generously with the graham crackers crumbs and a tiny pinch of salt. (This is also when you would add the extra marshmallows on top if desired.)
7. Place the baking sheets in the oven and then turn the temperature down to 375. Bake for 10-12 minutes. You want the edges to be golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before placing onto a cooling rack. These will keep well in a container on the counter for a few days. They also freeze really well so whatever you don’t eat, throw in the freezer for future s’mores cravings.