Family. Food. Beautiful Spaces. Healing. Travel. Living Free.
I have a slight
HUGE obsession with s’mores. I’ve already dove into the s’mores craze by making S’mores Cookies. I’ve attempted a s’mores smoothie (in progress) and now I am going all out and making S’mores Cupcakes with a Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting.
umm, YES PLEASE!
Recovery has given me the ability to appreciate all of the little things life has to offer. Yesterday our little dog, Sophie, laid and cuddled with me all afternoon while we watched Raising Hope (I LOVE THAT SHOW!). She is such a precious sweet dog and in that moment all I wanted to do was cry because of how sweet she was being. I felt so loved and cared for…by my dog. I appreciate so many little things now, like the birds chirping in the morning, when my dogs jump all over me after coming home from work, a hug from Colin after not seeing him all day, when I listen to a good song. I can really appreciate all that life has to offer. And I LOVE IT!
I can also appreciate and enjoy food. All kinds of food! I don’t have that mentality of, “well I can’t have that because it’s too many calories,” or “I’m sure the fat content in those is too much for me.” Now, I enjoy food for what it is: energy for my body and my body NEEDS all kinds of foods. But I also believe food is meant to be enjoyed or else it wouldn’t taste so good!
So these S’mores Cupcakes are just that. A yummy, tasty treat to enjoy with your husband or dogs or friends or even alone. You know you wanna 🙂
Vegan S’mores Cupcakes
By Amy DiPaola
makes 16 cupcakes
1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup graham crackers, crushed, plus 1/3 cup for topping, finely ground
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
2. In large bowl whisk together all wet ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (ONLY 1 cup of the crushed graham cracker). Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together until just combined.
3. Pour batter into each cupcake liner until about 1/3 of the way full. Melt your marshmallows until VERY VERY MELTED!! This might take a few minutes in the microwave (watch closely though). Once your marshmallows are very melted put a dollop of marshmallow in each cupcake tin on top of the batter. Cover each marshmallow with batter until about 3/4 full. Sprinkle liberally with the 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes before placing each cupcake on a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing. These keep well in the fridge for about 5 days.
Now this is the hard part…debate whether to have on right out of the oven just because you can’t resist and you just have to try one…or wait until fully cooled and iced. Decisions, decisions. If it helps, I had one right out of the oven…and another iced. I think Colin ate about 5 or 6.
Now for the icing recipe. So typically, I am not one for powdered sugar. I really don’t like to use it and rarely ever do.
But whatever, because these cupcakes go from AMAZING, to OMG GOTTA HAVE INCREDIBLY AMAZING with this icing! Can’t fight with that.
Marshmallow Butter Cream Frosting
makes enough to lightly ice 16 regular size cupcakes
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter & nut flavor
4 Tbs earth balance buttery spread
6 vegan marshmallows, MELTED!
1/4 cup graham crackers, finely crushed
1. Mixed all ingredients together and ice COOLED cupcakes. EAT!!! YUM!